earthquake insurance

Earthquake & Flood

Added protection for your property when disaster strikes. Learn More

Shake, Rattle & Roll: Common Myths About Earthquake Insurance

Earthquakes have occurred in 42 states since 1900, and about 70% of Americans live in areas considered seismically active. Myths about earthquakes can be misleading and lend themselves to putting you at risk after an emergency. Here are some myths and facts to help you understand the necessity of earthquake insurance coverage.


Myth #1: My homeowner’s or renter’s insurance will cover earthquakes:  Unfortunately, your homeowner’s or renter’s insurance policies do not cover damage caused by earthquakes. If you live in a high-risk area, you’ll likely need to buy a separate policy, along with your base homeowner’s or renters insurance policy. Some homeowner’s insurance policies might cover damages caused by fire following an earthquake, a common consequence of an earthquake. 


Myth #2: The government will provide all the aid I need if I’m affected by an earthquake:  While it is true that the government will offer federal aid to those affected by natural disasters, the money will be in the form of loans, which you will need to pay back. It can be risky to rely on federal aid, and you must meet their qualifications to apply. Plus, there is no guarantee that you will receive any payout. Moreover, if you receive funds, they might not cover the costs to repair and replace what you have lost. 


Myth #3: Earthquake insurance is too expensive and not worth the cost:  Premium for earthquake coverage can vary dramatically based on the age and location of your home. However, for most people, earthquake coverage is extremely affordable! We can provide a quick and reliable quote instantly!

What Is Earthquake Insurance, And What Does It Cover?

Earthquake insurance provides coverage if an earthquake damages your home. Standard homeowner and renters policies will not cover earthquake damage. Earthquake insurance is a separate policy or endorsement you must buy and add to your homeowner’s or renters’ policy. Earthquake coverage generally excludes damages or losses from floods and tidal waves – even when caused or compounded by an earthquake. 

Bethany can help you review several options to consider when purchasing earthquake insurance, including:

  • Does the policy cover only your home? Are other structures, such as garages, also included?
  • Will your policy pay for the contents of your home and additional living expenses if your home is badly damaged or destroyed?
  • Are there any exclusions or limitations to coverage?
  • What deductible must you pay before the insurance kicks in?

What Is Flood Insurance And What Does It Cover?

Your standard property insurance policies, such as homeowner’s insurance, typically do not cover flood damage. Flood insurance is a separate policy designed to help protect your home, building contents, and belongings if they are damaged in a flood. If you own a home or business and have a government-backed mortgage, you’ll be required to have flood insurance if you live in a high-risk flood area.


Through Bethany, there are two ways to secure flood insurance:

The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) is the federal plan from FEMA. Most homeowners who have flood insurance get it from the National Flood Insurance Program. A Bethany agent can process your application for a policy. 


Private personal flood insurance is also available from some carriers we represent. These carriers have coverage options not available from FEMA so they can be a good match if you have large or expensive properties or find the FEMA choices to be insufficient.

Request a Quote

Simply fill out the form below and one of our helpful agents will contact you shortly to discuss your options.